Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Unsticking

Maven Darcy BurkeHappy New Year! The ends of my hair are currently singed as I burn through my WIP. I'm in that great almost-done phase where you can hardly do anything but sit and write. Like reading a good book that I simply can't put down. Except of course the writing takes much, much, much longer than the reading. If only it were the reverse.

My biggest challenge with this book is writing a truly Alpha Alpha male. I mean, he's entitled, he's arrogant, he likes violence, and he treats the heroine like a sex object for the first half of the book. I love him! But, sometimes it's hard to write him. I've been stuck the past few days on a pivotal scene. He exposes his vulnerable side to the heroine and then in the next scene he's all nice and...bor-ring. And I really need that first scene. So, I thought, "What does a guy do when he says or does something humiliating?" Pretend it never happened and act like a total jerk to the person who might've witnessed said humiliation. Voila, unstuck.

Been stuck lately? What'd you do about it?

Update: Last time I blogged (uh, way too long ago), I'd just found my long-lost Danish cousins. I'm now in frequent contact and even talked to Paprika on the phone last week. Despite the lost years and never meeting, the connection between us is so strong. I can't wait to meet them in person and hug them tight!

4 comments:

lacey kaye said...

"What does a guy do when he says or does something humiliating?" Pretend it never happened and act like a total jerk to the person who might've witnessed said humiliation.

Sooooooooo true.

/shanks men everywhere

Erica Ridley said...

LOL. Yeah. Or, yanno, takes it back completely, claiming a psychotic break overtook him and he never meant a word of it.

/snatches machete from Lacey

lacey kaye said...

hehehehehehehe.

Darc, you should'a just called us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darcy -- Sounds like you're having fun with your characters.
Good luck with the book.

I wrote “Soaring and Crashing: My Bipolar Adventures” (www.holly-holy.com) and when it came time to turn it over to an editor, all I could do was sit and wait. Finally, she was done with it and I embarked on the process of finding an agent, which I did. The agent explored publishers for 18 months, but because it is a “self-help/memoir,” nobody could pigeon-hole it as one or the other, so I self-published with Mill City Press. They were great.

So that’s my publishing story. I wish you great success with yours.

Manuscript Mavens










Manuscript Mavens